Etia - Venetian Villa
The Venetian villa at Etia is regarded as a classic example of Venetian architecture in Crete.
This three floor building, now known as "Seragio-Serai" was probably built at the end of the 15th century and belonged to the Venetian family " De Mezzo".
Many Turkish notables lived here during the Turkish Occupation, the most infamous of whom was "Memetakis" notorious for his barbaric acts against the Christians.
The third floor was destroyed in 1828 during an uprising of the Christians against the Turks, and the second floor soon after. Only the first floor was preserved in fairly good condition. The building now has a preservation order on it and restoration work has begun. The structure was built around a courtyard with an imposing entrance which no longer exists. There was a tap to the right of the entrance from which water flowed into stone basins outside. There is a tablet next to the tap with an inscription bearing the date of construction (1701) and the name Meletiou Triviza (a local bishop).
The De Mezzo shield can be seen above the grand entry to the main house. The entry hall is arched and has a stone floor. The stairway which led to the second floor can be seen opposite and to the right of the entrance. There is a circular strip over the doorway to the other floors on which is carved the inscription :
“INTRA VOSTRA SIGNIORIA SENZA RISPETTO” eg. Let your nobles enter without shame.
So far, only the interior of the second floor has been restored.