The first excavations of this site were carried out at the end of the 19th century by the Italian archaeologists Halbherr and Mariani. In 1901 the director of the English School of Archaeology, R C Bousanquet, started more methodic excavations. Ancient Presos extends over three hilltops 1km to the north of the village of Presos (Babeli). Hilltop (Akrotiri) Α ,the tallest, consists of a wall which can be seen today on the north-east side. A remarkable Hellenistic dwelling, probably the house of a landlord or a guest-house, has also been excavated here. Hilltop (Akrotiri) C was named Hill Altar because a sacrificial altar was discovered here dating from 8th - 7th century BC with two inscriptions in Heteocretan along with other artefacts such as shields, helmets, breast plates, leg armour and bronze and clay figurines (of note is the clay figurine of a lion - the symbol of the Goddess Rhea). Also a significant find was a series of four domed tombs containing a range of items buried with the dead.